UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST CHURCH OF GREATER LANSING
5509 S. Pennsylvania Ave., Lansing, MI 48912
BOOKKEEPER JOB DESCRIPTION
The Bookkeeper supports the mission and goals of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Greater Lansing by accurately and efficiently managing the church’s finances. The Bookkeeper tracks income and expenses, processes payments and compiles reports. The Bookkeeper reports to the Church Administrator and works closely with the Vice-President for Finance.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Process invoices, bills, and reimbursement requests; verify invoices with staff and verify correctness of invoices.
- Record receipts and expenditures in QuickBooks.
- Print checks.
- Submit check requests, checks, and a check list to the Treasurer.
- Record pledges and capital campaign promises in Church Windows.
- Back up QuickBooks and Church Windows data.
- Process payroll for church staff.
- Process automatic bank and credit card pledge payments.
- Process automatic payments for restricted accounts.
- Prepare biweekly payroll tax forms and make necessary deposits.
- Reconcile bank statements for all accounts.
- Monitor and review accounts for accuracy.
- Prepare financial reports for committees and staff as needed.
- Prepare, in consultation with the Vice-President for Finance, financial reports for the monthly Finance Committee meeting.
- Maintain all paper and computer financial files.
- Prepare quarterly reports on contributions for members.
- Prepare quarterly report reconciliation and submissions for local, state, and federal governments.
- Produce annual income and expense reports covering all operations and departments of the church.
- Produce appropriate end-of-the-year tax forms.
- Produce year-end contribution reports by January 31.
- Close the books for the year after approval by Church Board of Trustees.
- Enter the new budget in QuickBooks.
- Minimum five years of accounting or bookkeeping experience (church or non-profit preferred).
- An Associate degree in accounting from an accredited educational institution desired.
- Ability to perform several tasks concurrently with ease and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to use QuickBooks accounting software, plus Excel and Word. Familiarity with church databases desired.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements of processing payroll accounting transactions and payroll returns desired.
- Ability to speak, write, and generally communicate well in English.
- Dependable work hours and job performance, commitment to accuracy, good interpersonal skills, and ability to work well with others.
- Ability to keep financial information about church members in strict confidence.
- Hiring dependent upon successful completion of a background check.
Hours & Salary
This is a part-time job, averaging 6 hours/week year-round.
Salary range: $15.65 to $21.08 per hour, commensurate with experience. No benefits are offered with this position.
Please send a resume, cover letter and the names of three references to Kathy McWilliams, Congregational Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.